It should come as no surprise that water and electronics don't mix. But don't panic—your cellphone can be saved.
You will need
- A plastic container with a lid
- A blow-dryer
- A towel
- And two silica gel packs
Step 1 Remove battery Remove your phone’s battery. Many circuits inside the phone will survive if they are not attached to a power source when wet.
Step 2 Remove sim card Consult the manual to remove your phone’s Sim card, which stores the phone’s data and allows it to connect to your service provider. Sim cards can survive water damage.
Step 3 Dab w/ towel Dab the phone, battery, and Sim card with a towel, then set the last two items aside.
Step 4 Dry with blow-dryer With your blow-dryer set on low (or the cool air blast), dry your phone, getting as much water out of the unit as possible.
Step 5 Seal with silica gel packs Place your phone, battery, and Sim card in the plastic container with the silica gel packs. These absorb moisture and can be found in packaging, craft stores, or online. Allow the container to sit sealed for three days.
If you don’t have access to silica gel, place your phone in front of the air conditioner—the cool air can help dry out moisture.
Step 6 Test battery If your phone does not work after three days, plug it into its charger without the battery. If this works, you will need a new battery.
Step 7 Call everyone Call up everyone to explain why you haven’t returned calls in three days.
Did You Know:
The first cell phone, introduced in 1984, weighed two pounds, offered a half-hour of talk time per charging, and retailed for nearly $4,000.