Learn how to solder safely from expert Jeff Koskulics in this Howcast video.
Shuttering safety really takes place in to many areas. One is heat making sure that we control our shuttering iron making sure that we keep it away from any source of ignition and keep it away from our skin which can burn very easily. And we also need to consider chemical effects because we are working with some materials which may be toxic and we want to make sure that we treat those properly.
So, to begin with we will talk about the iron itself. The iron is very hot, it is set at 650 Degrees Fahrenheit and at this temperature you get an instant third degree burn if it comes in contact with your skin. So, first be sure to grip the shuttering iron by its insulating grip. Second, make sure that you are working with a proper stand so that when you are not using your iron; you can safely leave it unattended without having to worry about, it running into, rolling into some flammable materials. And third keep an eye on your work surface; you want to make sure that you are not on something that is going to catch fire very easily. So don’t do shuttering on your carpet, try to keep papers and cardboards away and any kind of flammable liquids. Now let us talk about chemicals. As you know most shutters that are in common use today, do contain lead. Lead is known to be toxic to the Human body as any heavy metal would be. So, it is important to make sure that the lead isn’t allowed to be ingested by anyone and that really, mainly means babies. You don’t want to let a toddler or some else near lead shutter. So, be sure that your work area is kept free of any debris and that your young children are kept away from your work area. And somewhere a less important point is that fumes that are generated when you shutter.
The flux creates a smoke and the smoke is an irritant. If you are exposed to it for long enough you may develop sore throat or you may get some irritation in your lungs. So you don’t want to breathe the vapors for very long. So, you make sure that you are at a well-ventilated area or control the vapors in some way. If you are doing a lot of shuttering, you may want to consider a fume extractor. This is an inexpensive part. This works using an activated carbon filter and the carbon filter acts as an absorbent which can stick the vapor particles directly to the filter and this will last many, many months and that will greatly abate any kind of shutter vapor. And finally there is also a minor concern with the lead that as you shutter, tiny particles of lead oxide may become formed. So, that is another reason to make sure that you are in a well-ventilated area and that you are using some kind of vapor control, such as the fume extractor. Finally, you probably want to invest in a pair of safety glasses, you never know if something may splatter or you know burst into flames. So, be sure to protect your eyes while working with shuttering.