- Step 1: Decorate board Decorate a piece of cardboard or poster board large enough to hold 24 small boxes, envelopes, or pouches. The containers should be large enough to hold a little treat.
- TIP: Cut the cardboard into a holiday shape, such as a Christmas tree, wreath, or snowman.
- Step 2: Decorate containers Decorate your containers. The possibilities are endless: You could paint them, draw patterns, cover them with sequins--use your imagination.
- Step 3: Number containers Number the containers 1 to 24 by whatever means you like--construction paper cutouts, magic marker, holiday stickers, and so on.
- Step 4: Glue containers Glue the containers to the cardboard. You can arrange them randomly or in a pattern.
- TIP: Make sure the containers are attached in a way that allows them to be opened easily.
- Step 5: Add surprises In each container, place a surprise--like a piece of candy or small toy.
- Step 6: Begin in December On December 1st, begin opening a container a day, starting with the one labeled "1."
- Step 7: Continue opening daily Continue this fun daily ritual until the final box is opened on Christmas Eve!
- FACT: The Advent calendar originated in 19th-century Germany.
You Will Need
- A large piece of cardboard or poster board
- 24 small containers such as cardboard boxes and envelopes
- Art supplies (ex. markers
- stickers) to decorate your calendar
- A glue gun
- And 24 small treats
- like candy or toys