- Step 1: Find a floppy Get your hands on an old floppy disk—one that contains metal parts, not plastic.
- Step 2: Remove the metal Crack open the floppy disk; the rectangular metal part will break away easily. Then peel away the part of the disk surrounding the round metal center. Reserve both metal parts and discard the rest.
- Step 3: Make two cuts Holding the rectangular metal part like a book, cut off the right-hand side of the rectangular opening.
- Step 4: Bend the sides Bend the two large, square pieces backwards until they are flat; then angle their edges upward.
- Step 5: Make some snips Make two snips halfway down and halfway through the vertical pieces.
- Step 6: Add the hub Slide the small, round disk over the vertical pieces, through the larger of its two openings.
- Step 7: Secure it Secure the round disk by sliding it into the slits you made on the vertical pieces.
- Step 8: Float it in the air Hang your Starship Enterprise with invisible thread—found at fabric and magic stores—and it will appear to be floating through space!
- FACT: Star Trek is often cited as the first U.S. TV program to show an interracial kiss, between series regulars Nichelle Nichols and William Shatner.
You Will Need
- An old floppy disk
- Sturdy scissors or a wire cutter
- Invisible thread