- Step 1: Stand in front of rope Stand in front of the rope.
- TIP: Wearing comfortable athletic clothes and shoes will make climbing easier.
- Step 2: Grab rope Reach up and grab the rope over your head.
- Step 3: Jump up In one motion, jump up while pulling yourself up with your arms.
- Step 4: Wrap feet around rope At the peak of your jump, bring your legs up—knees bent—and wrap your feet around the rope, holding it between them for stability.
- Step 5: Stand & reach further up Stand up while holding the rope between your feet and reach further up the rope above your head.
- Step 6: Continue standing & grabbing Continue standing and grabbing up the rope until you reach the top.
- Step 7: Walk hands down To descend, don't jump down, but "walk" your hands down hand over hand as you lightly hold the rope with your feet, guiding yourself to the bottom.
- FACT: The Roman writer Claudius Galen wrote about gymnastics—and rope climbing—as early as 200 A.D.
You Will Need
- A sturdy hanging rope
- Athletic clothes
- And athletic shoes