- Step 1: Begin to edit When you’re finished writing your paper, launch your word processing program’s 'find and replace' function. Often this is under the 'edit' menu.
- Step 2: Type in periods Type a period in the spaces for 'find' and for 'replace.'
- Step 3: Increase the size Highlight the period in the second, or 'replace,' space. Increase its font size. For example, if it’s in a 12-point font, increase it to 14-point. You usually do this by clicking on the 'format' and 'font' options; sometimes you’ll have to click 'more' to see these options.
- Step 4: Make the switch Click 'replace all.' This will change the font of all your periods.
- TIP: Don’t change your entire paper’s font size or set ridiculously wide margins—that’s too obvious!
- Step 5: Watch it grow Re-measure your paper. Depending on how long your report was to begin with, simply enlarging the periods can add anywhere from one half to two—or more!—pages.
- FACT: If you have a 16-page, 12-point paper, changing the periods to 14-point will stretch the paper to 19 pages!
You Will Need
- A report stored on a computer
- Flexible ethics