- Step 1: Don’t diet in the morning Don’t skimp on breakfast. In one study, participants who ate a 600-calorie breakfast rich in carbohydrates and protein lost more weight over eight months than those who had a much smaller, low-carb meal.
- Step 2: Spread out your drinking Don't save up your boozing for the weekend: A study of 2,300 drinkers found that those who drank a large amount in one night had higher levels of abdominal fat than those who consumed a similar amount of alcohol but spread it out over several days.
- Step 3: Eat more slowly Start savoring your meals. Because it takes around 20 minutes for a full stomach to actually feel full, gulping down food means you’ll usually accidentally eat more than you need.
- Step 4: Wear comfy shoes Ladies, save the sexy stilettos for special occasions. People who wear comfortable shoes burn more calories per day because, duh, they walk more.
- Step 5: Drink your coffee black A plain cup of coffee has no fat and only a few calories, but a small latte likely has around 10 grams of fat and a couple hundred calories.
- TIP: Add skim milk to coffee instead of cream -- it has less fat and calories.
- Step 6: Give up the sleeping pills Wean yourself off sleep medications. Their contribution to weight gain is threefold: You sleep longer, meaning less activity; you may be sluggish during the day, leading to fewer calories burned; and you may eat in your sleep without even knowing it.
- FACT: According to one study, women whose husbands have more schooling than they do are thinner than those with less educated spouses.
You Will Need
- Big breakfasts
- Moderate drinking habits
- Leisurely dining
- Comfortable shoes