- Step 1: Pick your colors Pick a color for each room of your new home—for example, yellow for the kitchen, blue for the master bedroom, and so on.
- Step 2: Write on boxes As you pack items, note them on the box. When you get to your new home, you’re not going to want to dig through six boxes marked 'Kitchen' to find the coffee maker.
- TIP: Use a colored permanent marker that corresponds to the assigned room color when you write the destination and contents on each box.
- Step 3: Seal boxes Seal the box with duct tape in the assigned color.
- Step 4: Mark fragile boxes Write 'fragile' on boxes with breakable items, or slap on some 'fragile' stickers.
- TIP: Make your own stickers by writing 'Fragile' on bright orange duct tape.
- Step 5: Mark the rooms When you get to your new home, stick a piece of colored duct tape at the entrance to each room so the movers can easily identify where boxes should go. Now unpacking will be a breeze!
- FACT: Approximately 40% of all moves are job-related, 42% are for personal reasons, and 18% are military or government relocations.
You Will Need
- Moving boxes
- Permanent markers in different colors
- Duct tape in different colors
- u201cFragileu201d stickers (optional)