- Step 1: Look for cues Before approaching someone, try to catch their eye. If they hold your gaze for a moment and then fiddle with their appearance — like straighten their shoulders or touch their hair — chances are they’re interested.
- TIP: Ladies, go man-hunting when you’re ovulating. Research shows that men are subconsciously attracted to women who are in that part of their cycle, which occurs 12 to 16 days before menstruation begins.
- Step 2: Lock eyes If you’ve managed to engage your crush in a conversation, maintain eye contact. It’s called the 'anchoring gaze' and it fosters feelings of intimacy.
- Step 3: Order some cheese If there’s any way to work a cheese platter into the evening, do so. Cheese is chock full of the chemical phenylethylamine, an aphrodisiac.
- TIP: Cheesy pickup lines, on the other hand, are a turnoff!
- Step 4: Don’t overshare Don’t provide too much information upfront. Ex-lovers, copious numbers of pets, prison stints, and radical weight loss procedures are best left for another time.
- Step 5: Beat ‘em to the punch If it becomes obvious that the person you’re chatting up is not interested in you — their eyes are wandering; they’re grunting one-word responses; they’re not smiling — say, 'It was nice meeting you,' and move on.
- FACT: People who meet in fear-inducing situations are more likely to find each other attractive.
You Will Need
- Eye contact
- A warm smile