- Step 1: Start with day-old hair A messy bun tends to come undone if your hair is freshly washed, so try this trick on a no-shampoo day.
- TIP: Spraying hair with a dry shampoo, or adding some mousse and then blow-drying it, will give your hair the manageability of unwashed locks.
- Step 2: Brush your hair back Brush your hair to the back of your head and gather it into a ponytail in your hands.
- Step 3: Twist the hair Twist the ponytail around its own center, forming a loose bun.
- Step 4: Anchor the bun Anchor the bun with bobby pins in the same color as your hair, letting a few stray pieces slip out.
- TIP: For a really easy bun, gather hair into a ponytail, wrap an elastic band around it, twist the band, and then pull the tail partially through the second loop. Fan the ends out.
- Step 5: Spray it Spritz the bun with hair spray.
- Step 6: Create wisps Gently pull a few face-framing pieces out of the bun.
- FACT: Princess Leia’s famous hair buns in the movie Star Wars were influenced by hairstyles of the Hopi Indians.
You Will Need
- Hair that hasnu2019t been washed for 24 hours
- A brush
- Bobby pins in the color of your hair
- Hair spray
- Dry shampoo or hair mousse (optional)
- An elastic band (optional)