- Step 1: Start out clean Begin with clean hair. A traditional knot stays in place better with day-old hair. But for this messy, modern look, freshly shampooed strands work better.
- Step 2: Brush your hair Brush your hair toward the back of your head.
- TIP: Using a brush with boar bristles will add shine and reduce frizz.
- Step 3: Make a ponytail Make a ponytail with an elastic band, divide it into two sections, and tug the hair to tighten it.
- Step 4: Do the twist Twist the two sections around each other and keep twisting until you reach the bottom of the tail.
- Step 5: Coil it Now take the twisted ponytail and coil it around the elastic band.
- Step 6: Secure it with bobby pins Secure the knot with bobby pins. Don’t worry if there are loose pieces: A casual vibe is the point of a modern knot.
- FACT: A Yale University study found that women with hair pulled back are perceived as more intelligent.
You Will Need
- Clean hair
- A brush
- An elastic band
- Bobby pins
- A paddle brush with boar bristles (optional)