- Step 1: Let the sun shine Open your bedroom curtains when you turn in; the morning light will make it easier for you to wake up by telling your brain it’s time to get going.
- Step 2: Buy an alarm Buy the loudest, most shrill alarm clock you can find. If you have a clock radio, set it on maximum volume to a station you detest.
- Step 3: Move your alarm clock Let’s face facts: as long as your alarm clock is within arm’s reach, you’re never going to be able to resist it, so move it somewhere that necessitates getting out of bed. See? You’re up!
- TIP: Get a rascally clock with wheels that will scamper off your nightstand when the alarm goes off and hide in your room. You’ll scramble to silence the beast.
- Step 4: Turn on the TV As you’re dashing to turn off the damn alarm, snap on the TV. When you see all those perky newscasters who have been up for hours, you’ll realize you’re not going to die if you don’t go back to bed.
- Step 5: Try rational thought When the alarm goes off, remind yourself that those 10-minute increments of shut-eye may feel good now, but sleep research shows that they make you feel more tired in the long run.
- Step 6: Set your coffeemaker Invest in a coffeemaker or espresso machine that can be timed to finish brewing just as your alarm clock goes off. Keep it in your room so the aroma entices you out of bed.
- TIP: Another option: set the coffeemaker to begin brewing one minute after your alarm will go off—but don’t leave the pot beneath the basket. That way you’ll have to get up to avoid a soggy mess.
- Step 7: Have treats Still having trouble? Allow yourself really decadent breakfast treats—chocolate chip muffins, buttery croissants, sticky cinnamon rolls—that make you look forward to getting out of bed.
- Step 8: Lose the snooze If all else fails, get an alarm clock without a snooze button—knowing you, you’ll be too lazy to reset it for a lousy nine minutes of extra sleep.
- FACT: The average person hits the snooze button three times before getting up.
You Will Need
- A loud alarm clock
- A rascally clock
- A coffeemaker with timer
- Breakfast treats