- Step 1: Introduce yourself Approach the person and introduce yourself. Don't bother with cheesy pickup lines—studies show a simple "Hi" works best.
- TIP: If the other person doesn't immediately offer his or her name, chances are the interest level is low.
- Step 2: Use name immediately After you get the person's name, use it almost immediately. For example, "So, Jen, are you a coffee addict, too?" People love the sound of their own name.
- TIP: Slip in flattery Try to slip in a little flattery. Compliment her name, an article of his clothing—just don't go overboard.
- Step 3: Ask questions Once a conversation is underway, ask questions so you can do more listening than talking. When allowed to dominate a conversation, a person is more likely to rate the listener as highly interesting.
- TIP: Try to make the other person laugh. A good sense of humor is always high on the list of traits that singles seek.
- Step 4: Don't linger Don't linger. After a few minutes, say that you have to rejoin your friends, get back to work, whatever. End the flirting before you run out of things to say.
- Step 5: Say you'd love to see them again Before walking away, tell the person you've enjoyed chatting and would love to see them again. Hopefully they'll offer their number.
- TIP: If you have business cards, pull one out and suggest that you trade.
- Step 6: Ask for phone number If the other person doesn't get the hint, ask straight-up for their phone number. Now go think of what to say when you call!
- FACT: Research shows that men decide within the first 15 minutes of a date if they want to see the person again, while women take up to an hour.
You Will Need
- Some conversation starters