- : Make sure you have the rights to any video you upload.
- Step 1: Create an account Create a YouTube account with a user name and password.
- Step 2: Check specs Look at the video file you want to upload. Make sure it’s no more than 10 minutes long and 1 gigabyte in size, and in an acceptable file format. YouTube’s recommended format is MPEG-4. Other acceptable formats include:.AVI.3GP.MOV.MP4.FLV.SWF.MKVDVD formats such as .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP cannot be uploaded to YouTube.
- TIP: As a government agency, you can upload larger files by becoming a YouTube partner. See youtube.com/partners for more information.
- Step 3: Choose your video Click the 'Upload' button, located on the upper right of most YouTube pages. Browse for the video title you want to upload from your computer. Select the file and hit 'Upload Video.'
- Step 4: Enter information Enter information about your video in the Title, Description, Tags, and Category fields. This makes it easier for users to find your video on YouTube. Under Privacy, choose 'Share your video with the world,' meaning anyone can watch it, or 'Private,' which restricts viewing to you and up to 25 other people you select.
- TIP: Tags are terms and phrases related to the topic of your video that people tend to search for.
- Step 5: Wait Be patient! It can take anywhere from several minutes to an hour for your video to upload, depending on the file size and your bandwidth. Don’t navigate away from the page until you receive a message that the process is complete. Once you do, click on 'My Account' and then 'My Videos' to find your uploaded video.
- TIP: You can upload up to 10 files in a single session.
- Step 6: Choose options Click 'Edit' under your video to decide whether you want to allow comments, comment voting, video responses, ratings, embedding, and syndication.
- TIP: Embedding lets you and others post your video onto multiple web sites and blogs.
- Step 7: Share your video Congratulations! Your video is on YouTube. Now you’re ready to share it with the world.
- FACT: Thirteen hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
You Will Need
- A computer with internet access
- A video file