- Step 1: Collect the plates Start clearing the table by collecting one dish at a time, scraping off any food bits into the kitchen garbage pail, and piling the dishes in the sink or on the countertop, depending on your mom’s preference.
- TIP: Don’t carry more items than you can handle. You don’t want to drop anything!
- Step 2: Gather the glassware Next, start collecting cups and glasses two at a time—one for each hand—and gently place them down on the counter.
- TIP: Keep a good grip on breakable items and walk carefully.
- Step 3: Pick up the silverware Pick up the silverware and carefully place it on top of the piled-up dishes.
- TIP: Be extra careful with knives, holding them by the handle, facing down. Many times, an older sibling or parent will handle this task.
- Step 4: Put food away Replace lids and caps on things like mustard, ketchup, and milk cartons, and put them away in the fridge or cupboard.
- Step 5: Wipe off, then dry table Ask mom for a damp cloth or sponge to wipe up any crumbs or spills, then dry the table with a clean cloth. Now the table is ready for dessert!
- FACT: The first table forks had only two prongs.
You Will Need
- A kitchen garbage pail
- A damp cloth
- A dry cloth