- Step 1: Look nice Wear well-fitting, up-to-date gym clothes, but don't look like you're trying too hard.
- TIP: Ladies, go light on the makeup.
- Step 2: Shower first Take a quick shower before you start working out so that the sweat coming out of your pores is clean and odorless. Don't forget deodorant, and never wear dirty exercise gear!
- TIP: Donning the same outfits repeatedly – even if they're freshly laundered – will give the impression you're not washing your workout wear.
- Step 3: Follow gym etiquette Obey gym etiquette, like not hogging machines and wiping them off when you're through. You'll have a hard time picking someone up if your fellow exercisers hate you.
- Step 4: Take it easy When it comes to the machines and free weights, don't take on more than you can handle. At worst, you'll hurt yourself. At best, you'll turn bright colors, make strange noises, or look like a show-off.
- Step 5: Give props Just because people are more scantily clad at the gym than at the office doesn't give you the right to drool over exposed body parts. Instead, if someone strikes your fancy, compliment their form or fitness progress. That kind of flattery will get you everywhere.
- Step 6: Offer advice If you see a hottie struggling to adjust weights or a seat height, casually offer to help – just don't come across as an arrogant gym savior, or you'll be met with eyerolling.
- TIP: Don’t shy about asking for advice, either. Jump on the machine next to a sexy specimen and ask for tips on using it.
- Step 7: Learn their routine Observe people's schedules so you can arrange a "chance" run-in outside the gym, where you'll have a better shot at having a private conversation.
- Step 8: Take the plunge Many gyms have smoothie or juice bars. If you do manage to engage someone in convo, offer them a post-workout treat.
- FACT: Forty percent of single women say the gym is a good pickup place, according to one survey.
You Will Need
- Flattering gym clothes
- Observation skills
- The price of a smoothie