- Step 1: Hike the ball Have the center hike the football.
- Step 2: Have the QB “fumble” the ball Tell the quarterback to take the ball and place it on the ground -- technically a fumble.
- TIP: Since the ball has been 'fumbled,' members of the offensive line--particularly the guards--are now legally able to touch it.
- Step 3: Have a guard pick up the ball Have a guard suddenly turn away from the offensive line and pick up the ball.
- Step 4: Have the guard run Have your running back or backs run up one side of the field while the guard runs the opposite direction.
- TIP: Fake a handoff between your quarterback and one of the running backs to help bolster the misdirection.
- Step 5: Block as needed Block for the guard as needed. If done quickly and correctly, he should have an open side of the field with no one even watching him.
- FACT: A variation of this play, called the Bumarooski, was successfully used by the San Diego Chargers against the Denver Broncos in the 2006 season.
You Will Need
- Football game
- Offensive possession