- Step 1: Sponge with spirits For a fresh stain, sponge it with denatured alcohol, also known as methylated spirit, which is available at hardware stores. Rinse with cold water, and launder as usual.
- TIP: If the fabric has any rayon in it, test an inconspicuous spot first.
- Step 2: Soak in eucalyptus oil If it's a heavy-duty stain, soak the item in eucalyptus oil for about an hour before washing as usual.
- Step 3: Soak it If the stain has set in for a day or two, saturate it with the alcohol. Then rinse it out well immediately and launder as usual. Repeat if necessary, and don't put the item in the dryer until the stain has disappeared.
- FACT: The uniforms of professional ball players are often auctioned with dirt and grass stains.
You Will Need
- A sponge
- Denatured alcohol
- also known as methylated spirit
- Eucalyptus oil