- Step 1: Approach the person Approach the person you want to pick up. Have good posture– your walk must convey confidence.
- TIP: Read a newspaper before going out so you’ll have conversation topics ready, just in case.
- Step 2: Introduce yourself Introduce yourself with a simple 'Hi.' Research shows it’s the most effective opening line.
- Step 3: Focus on other person Keep the conversation focused on the other person; people love to talk about themselves.
- TIP: Use the other person’s name. As communications legend Dale Carnegie once said, 'The sweetest sound in any language is a person’s name.'
- Step 4: Keep things light Keep things light. Surveys show that people are drawn to a good sense of humor in a first encounter.
- Step 5: Move on Gauge the person’s interest after a few minutes; if he or she keeps looking away or backing up, move on.
- Step 6: Swap numbers Swap phone numbers. Of course, if you’re really hitting it off, you won’t need to.
- FACT: Half of club-goers report having had a serious relationship with someone they met in a bar.
You Will Need
- And the ability to improvise