- Step 1: Pour the milk into a fountain glass Pour the milk into a large soda fountain-style glass.
- Step 2: Add seltzer water to create a foam Slowly pour the seltzer into the center of the glass. This will produce a thick, white foam at the top of the glass.
- TIP: If you like your egg cream extra creamy and rich, you can increase the amount of milk used to two-thirds of a cup.
- Step 3: Add chocolate syrup Using a long-handled metal spoon, add the chocolate syrup by sliding it carefully into the glass. Try not to disturb the foam.
- Step 4: Mix chocolate syrup into the drink With your spoon, gently mix the chocolate into the drink. Try to mix it in without stirring the foam.
- TIP: Mixing the chocolate into the milk before adding the seltzer water can make the foam brown instead of white.
- Step 5: Serve in a fountain glass Serve your egg cream in the fountain glass without a straw. Take a sip and enjoy this New York classic!
- FACT: Singer-songwriter and New York native Lou Reed wrote a tribute song called "Egg Cream" for his 1996 album Set the Twilight Reeling.
You Will Need
- 1/3 c. very cold milk
- A large soda fountain glass
- 2/3 c. cold seltzer water
- 2 tbsp. chocolate syrup
- A long-handled metal mixing spoon