- : If constipation is accompanied by recurrent vomiting and abdominal pain, seek medical attention.
- Step 1: Drink more water Drink at least eight to 10 glasses of water per day. Constipation sufferers are often dehydrated.
- Step 2: Exercise regularly Stay active. About 30 minutes of physical activity each day will not only keep you in shape but also reduce the risk of constipation.
- TIP: Check with your doctor before starting a new exercise regimen.
- Step 3: Eat more fiber Eat foods rich in fiber such as fresh fruit and vegetables with skins, beans, oatmeal, and high-fiber breakfast cereal.
- Step 4: Drink ginger tea Try ginger tea, which helps improve digestion and calms down the stomach after a heavy meal.
- Step 5: Take a folic acid supplement Constipation can be a side effect of a folic acid deficiency. Try a daily 60-mcg folic acid supplement.
- Step 6: Get more sleep Lack of sleep can lead to anxiety, which in turn can cause problems in the digestive system. Aim for at least seven hours of quality sleep per night.
- Step 7: Check with your doctor If your bowel patterns remain abnormal, visit your doctor. Prescription medication or an underlying condition could be the culprit.
- FACT: Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement can increase the chance of constipation.
You Will Need
- High-fiber foods
- Ginger tea
- A medical checkup (optional)