- Step 1: Sitting and lying down In the backyard or park, stand facing your dog, maintaining eye contact. Give the verbal commands for "Sit!" and "Lay Down." Your dog should be resting comfortably with their underside touching the ground.
- Step 2: Push your dog over Kneel down and gently roll your dog onto their right side. While speaking the command "roll over," take your dog's left paw in your left hand and roll your dog gently onto their left side while moving the fingers on your right hand in a circle. Repeat this step until your dog rolls over from either the verbal command or hand gesture.
- TIP: Some dogs do not like to lie on their back, so be patient during this step.
- Step 3: Reward When your dog rolls over following your command, reward them with words of praise and a dog treat.
- Step 4: Roll back After he masters "roll over," kneel down again, grasp his right paw and, while saying "roll back," help him roll onto his right side, moving your fingers in a circle in the direction you want him to roll. Reward a successful roll back with another treat and words of praise.
- Step 5: Rolling over and over After your puppy has "roll over" and "roll back" down cold, combine these two tricks into "roll over and back." Help your dog as you did before by rewarding the proper response with a treat and words of praise.
- FACT: The term "rolling over" has come to mean giving up or another act of submission.
You Will Need
- A dog
- And dog treats