- : Always wear protective clothing, including a helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, kneepads, and appropriate footwear. Skateboarding is not recommended for children under the age of 6, and children between the ages of 6 and 10 should only ride with adult supervision.
- Step 1: Understand the trick Know what you're getting into. The 50-50 grind consists of riding the edge of a rail, ledge, or curb with the trucks of your skateboard, rather than your wheels.
- Step 2: Know how to Ollie Make sure you know how to Ollie, a maneuver that gets you and your board high enough for the 50-50 grind.
- Step 3: Find a surface Find a low, straight rail or curb for your grind. If you're using your own grind box or you're on your own property, coat the edge you'll be grinding with a thick layer of skate wax. Waxing is messy, so if you're on someone else's property ask for permission or skip waxing entirely.
- TIP: If you don't have skate wax, a candle can work in a pinch.
- Step 4: Ollie onto the ledge Roll to the ledge and perform an Ollie with enough force to put you and your board on the top of the ledge, shifting your weight to your trucks, which should be balanced on the edge.
- Step 5: Do the 50-50 grind After you feel confident in shifting your balance, try the trick. Do the Ollie as before, but don't stop. Shift your weight so that the trucks are hanging over the edge of the surface you're riding, and slide forward to the end of the ledge.
- TIP: Hold your arms out to the side to help you keep your balance while you're grinding.
- Step 6: Land on your wheels When you get close to the end of the ledge, shift your weight to the board's tail, Ollie off and land on your wheels.
- FACT: This grind is named the 50-50 because it involves placing the board half on and half off an edge.
You Will Need
- A skateboard
- A certified skateboard helmet
- Protective pads
- Skateboard or athletic shoes
- A grind box
- Skate wax