- Step 1: Call them Call your dog's name. When they enter the room, make eye contact and show them one of the dog treats in your right hand.
- TIP: Practice this trick just before your dog's regular mealtime so the treat will be a more effective reward.
- Step 2: Follow the treat While the dog's attention is focused on the treat, move the treat to their eye level, just above their nose. Continue to slowly move the treat up and over the dog's head.
- Step 3: Assuming the sitting position As the dog follows the treat with their eyes, they should raise their head and lower their backside and rear legs to the ground. If your dog is still standing on all fours, gently push their back end down. In either case, give the command "sit" followed by your dog's name.
- TIP: Always make sure to say the command and name in the same order each time.
- Step 4: Mastering the trick Repeat these steps until your dog can sit on command. Reward them with a treat and words of praise such as "Good dog!"
- FACT: Each episode of "Family Ties" ended with a picture of Ubu, the dog of the TV show's creator, and the command "Sit, Ubu, sit."
You Will Need
- A dog
- And dog treats