- Step 1: Preheat oven Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Step 2: Pierce the dots Pierce the three indentations on the top of the coconut using either an ice pick or a long, clean nail. Do this over a bowl in the sink so you can catch the coconut water.
- TIP: Drink the coconut water or save it and use it for cooking.
- Step 3: Crack it Hit the middle of the coconut with a hammer or with the blunt side of the knife blade. Hit it firmly, but don't whack it. Rotate the coconut, continuing to hit it at the equator with the hammer or the knife. Eventually, it'll split in two at the center.
- Step 4: Put it in the oven Put the two halves on a cookie sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes. This will help the meat separate more easily from the shell. Use a spoon to scoop out the meat.
- Step 5: Enjoy! Shred it, grate it, or just pop it in your mouth and enjoy!
- FACT: Coconut water was used as a substitute for saline drip on injured soldiers in World War II.
You Will Need
- An ice pick or clean nail
- A large bowl
- A hammer or a large butcher knife
- A cookie sheet
- And a spoon