- Step 1: Deal the cards Shuffle the deck and deal 26 cards to each player. Keep your cards face down and do not look at them.
- Step 2: Flip the top card Flip your top cards over at the same time. The card with the higher value wins, and the winner takes both cards, placing them face up at the bottom of their pile. Cards are ranked with the ace as the highest and two as the lowest.
- Step 3: Continue playing Continue flipping. When you reach the cards that are face up, shuffle your cards and start at the top.
- Step 4: Declare war If you flip two cards of equal value, war begins. Both players take a card from the top of their pile and set it face down on top of the first card, then take a third card and flip it face up. The player whose up card has the higher value wins all six cards.
- TIP: There is no winning strategy for War; the game is based on chance.
- Step 5: Continue the war If the two new cards are also a tie, war is declared again and the process repeats until one of the players has a card of higher value. The first player to capture all 52 of the cards wins.
- FACT: European playing cards date back to 1377 and may have originated in China.
You Will Need
- A deck of cards
- Two players