- Step 1: Combine the butter and cream cheese Place the butter and all of the cream cheese in the mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with the hand mixer for one to two minutes until well combined.
- TIP: Bring butter and cream cheese to room temperature for easy blending.
- Step 2: Sift the sugar Sift the confectioners' sugar over the butter and cheese. Beat the mixture at medium speed for two minutes until fluffy.
- Step 3: Stir in the vanilla Slowly stir in the vanilla extract with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Step 4: Store in the refrigerator Use the frosting immediately -- you should have about 2 cups, or enough to frost a two-layer cake -- or place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. It will last three to five days. Don't forget to lick the spoon!
- FACT: Cream cheese was accidentally invented in 1872 when an American dairy man tried to reproduce French Neufchatel cheese.
You Will Need
- 1/4 c. Unsalted butter
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 lb. confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- A medium mixing bowl
- A hand mixer
- A large sifter
- A wooden spoon
- Airtight container