- Step 1: Season the vinegar Pour the vinegar or lemon juice into the bowl. Add the salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- TIP: For variety, experiment with different types of vinegar, such as red wine, cider, or balsamic vinegars.
- Step 2: Add the oil Slowly drizzle the oil into the vinegar mixture, whisking briskly. This will create a smooth mixture, called an emulsion, that won't separate.
- TIP: You can drizzle the oil into the vinegar using a blender at low speed.
- Step 3: Serve Serve on salads, raw or grilled vegetables, fish, or cold meats.
- FACT: The word salad comes from the Latin word for salt, since the ancient Romans ate raw vegetables dressed with oil, vinegar, and salt.
You Will Need
- 1/4 c. vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- A dash of pepper
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- A medium-sized shallow bowl
- A whisk
- A blender