- Step 1: Fold two pieces of paper Fold two pieces of paper in half and set one aside for later use. With a pencil, make a light dot in the center of the folded edge.
- Step 2: Draw a line and cut Use the ruler to measure a 2-inch line from the dot toward the unfolded edge. Draw another dot to mark the end of the 2-inch line. Use the scissors to cut from dot to dot, starting at the folded edge.
- Step 3: Fold the two new flaps Fold the flaps on either side of the cut so that each one forms a triangle. Press firmly to create a deep crease. Unfold the flaps, and then unfold the entire piece of paper.
- Step 4: Turn the paper over Turn the construction paper over so the paper stands up like a tent. Put your finger on top of the tent and push the triangles down. Turn the paper over again. When you open and close it, the pop-up hole will look like a mouth.
- Step 5: Draw the character Draw the main character for your card around the hole, using it as a mouth. Use colored pencils and markers to bring the picture to life. Write a note to the person who'll be receiving the card.
- Step 6: Make a cover Open the second sheet of paper and set it down horizontally. Place a line of glue down the inside crease. Glue the pop-up page's outer crease to the plain page's inner crease. Wait for the glue to dry.
- Step 7: Design the cover Design the front of the card and share it with someone special!
- FACT: Pop-up books were used in the 13th century by a Catalan mystic and poet to prove his theories.
You Will Need
- Colored construction paper
- A pencil
- A ruler
- Safety scissors
- Markers or crayons