- Step 1: Don’t arrive drunk Don’t arrive drunk. Few doormen will let people into a club who are already three sheets to the wind.
- Step 2: Dress appropriately Dress appropriately—and by that, we mean appropriate to the club’s unwritten code. If you’re unsure what that is, spend some time discreetly observing how the people who are automatically let in are dressed.
- TIP: Wear good shoes. Many bouncers judge you by the quality of your shoes.
- Step 3: Divide into smaller groups Divide into small groups—especially if you’re a bunch of men. Doormen want to keep the genders balanced, and they especially dislike admitting gangs of guys.
- Step 4: Bribe the bouncer Bribe the bouncer. But do it discreetly. Waving money in his face like he’s a stripper will only make him mad.
- Step 5: Become a regular Become a regular—a generous, well-mannered regular. Aside from being a celebrity, it’s the best way to be waved on in.
- TIP: To become a regular, start out by going to the club on slow nights, when you’ll be assured admittance. Be friendly, chat up the help, and tip well.
- Step 6: Rent a cool car If you’re trying to get into a club with valet parking, rent some pricey wheels for the night so you won’t be rejected on the basis of your old beat-up ride.
- FACT: In Manhattan, there are concierge services you can pay to get you into certain clubs without waiting in line.
You Will Need
- Appropriate clothing
- Good shoes
- Money to burn
- An expensive car