- Step 1: Stand up immediately The fastest way to get rid of heartburn is to stand up. Heartburn is caused by food and stomach acid moving up the esophagus; standing helps gravity work for you instead of against you.
- Step 2: Take a teaspoon of vinegar Try a spoonful of vinegar. Heartburn is sometimes caused by too little stomach acid; vinegar gives the stomach what it needs for efficient digestion.
- Step 3: Drink water with baking soda Drink a glass of water, followed by half a glass of water mixed with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. The calcium in the baking soda counteracts your stomach acid to relieve heartburn.
- TIP: To make the water and baking soda taste palatable, add a couple drops of honey.
- Step 4: Drink chamomile tea Chamomile, like baking soda, is high in calcium. Like baking soda, it will lower stomach acid, while tasting a whole lot better!
- Step 5: Chew peppermint leaves Chew on peppermint leaves. Peppermint is high in menthol, which can help relax the stomach.
- FACT: An old wives' tale says that a woman who has heartburn during pregnancy will give birth to a hairy baby.
You Will Need
- A glass of water
- Baking soda
- Chamomile tea
- Peppermint leaves
- Honey (optional)