- Step 1: Clean the grill Clean the grill. For a charcoal grill, light some coals; with a gas grill, set it on high and close the lid. After about 20 minutes, let the grill cool. Then scrape off the burnt-on bits with a steel brush, and end by wiping down the grill with a clean cloth soaked in vegetable oil.
- Step 2: Heat the grill Heat a gas or electric grill to medium. If it's a charcoal grill, wait until the coals are ash-colored.
- Step 3: Prep the veggies Rinse the zucchini and squash, peel them, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Brush generously on both sides with vegetable oil and salt to taste.
- TIP: Another option is to cut the vegetables into chunks and put them in a grill basket or stick them on metal skewers for kebabs.
- Step 4: Grill them Grill the halves or chunks for two to three minutes per side, turning once. Test for doneness by piercing with a fork; if the tines go in easily, you're good to go.
- FACT: In England and France, a zucchini is called a courgette.
You Will Need
- A grill
- A steel brush
- A clean cloth
- Vegetable oil
- A vegetable peeler
- A pastry brush
- A fork
- A grill basket (optional)
- Metal skewers (optional)