- Step 1: Iron the square Iron your pocket square to achieve crisp folds.
- TIP: For silk squares, use the lowest iron setting and place a cotton cloth over the square.
- Step 2: Position the square Position the pocket square flat on a table in a diamond shape.
- Step 3: Bring the bottom corner up Fold the bottom corner up to meet the top corner, forming a triangle.
- Step 4: Fold the left corner in Fold the left corner of the triangle in toward the middle, slightly overlapping the center line of the triangle.
- Step 5: Fold the right corner in Fold the right corner of the triangle in toward the center in the same way.
- Step 6: Check the folds Flip your pocket square over so that it looks like a long rectangle with a point at the top center.
- Step 7: Place the pocket square in your pocket Place your pocket square in your breast pocket with the point facing up and the folds to the back.
- TIP: Many softer pocket squares can slip down into the pocket; hand-woven, textured silks tend to latch onto fabric.
- Step 8: Adjust pocket square Adjust the pocket square until you see a triangle peeking out of your pocket. Boy, do you look sharp!
- FACT: Men started to place clean handkerchiefs in their breast pockets in the 19th century.
You Will Need