- Step 1: Bend the deck Bend the deck slightly when you take it out of the box for the first time. This will help when it comes time to shuffle the cards.
- TIP: Use a new, high-quality deck. It’s harder if the cards are worn.
- Step 2: Position the deck Hold the deck in your left hand with your thumb on the long edge facing your body and your index finger on the short edge. Rest your other fingers on the long edge opposite the thumb.
- Step 3: Take half the deck with your right hand Take half the deck in your right hand. Press the top of the cards with your index finger, hold them with your thumb on the long edge, and hold with other fingers on the opposite long edge.
- TIP: Fanning powder, found in magic shops, will make the cards glide more easily.
- Step 4: Apply pressure Apply pressure to the ends of the cards with your thumbs and middle fingers. This will make the cards fan open slightly at the other end.
- Step 5: Align the cards and push Align the open edges of cards and push them into one another. Jiggle them until they fit snugly into each other.
- Step 6: Slip the cards together Slip the cards back together into the deck.
- FACT: The world’s best-selling playing card producer, the United States Playing Card Company, was founded in 1867.
You Will Need
- A deck of cards
- Fanning powder