- Step 1: Set up the board Place two black and two white discs in the board's four center squares, with corresponding colors diagonal to each other.
- Step 2: Choose a color Choose a color for each player. Black goes first.
- Step 3: Begin play Place a black disc in a square adjacent to a white disc so that a black disc is on either side of a white disc. When a white disc is surrounded, the black player flips the white disc to the black side.
- Step 4: Next player Move on to the next player. The white player places a disc in a square adjacent to a black disc so that there are white discs on either side of black ones. Flip the black discs to the white side.
- TIP: A player can flip any number of opposing discs so long as they have one of their discs on either side of consecutive opposing discs.
- Step 5: Take turns Take turns playing the game until all of the discs are on the board. If you cannot place a disc on the board so that your color is on either side of another player, you lose your turn.
- TIP: The corners are the most powerful spaces on the board. Try to get one of your own colored discs in each of the corners.
- Step 6: Continue play Continue playing until every space on the board is occupied or no one can make another move. The player who has the most discs on the board wins.
- FACT: Othello was created in 1971 by a Japanese salesman named Goro Hasegawa.
You Will Need
- An Othello board
- 64 reversible discs