- Step 1: Shampoo your hair only once every 2 to 3 days Washing your hair every day can zap away moisture from the scalp and dry out your hair. Shampoo your hair once every two or three days to retain moisture.
- Step 2: Use a protein-rich conditioner Natural conditioners that contain a high concentration of protein work best for dry, damaged hair. The proteins help smooth out the hair and protect the strands from root to tip.
- TIP: Always make sure to rinse conditioner thoroughly from the hair or you'll be left with residue that makes hair dull and lifeless.
- Step 3: Refrain from using the blow dryer Skip the blow dryer and let your hair dry naturally, or use a blow dryer on its lowest settings.
- Step 4: Protect your hair from the sun Wear a headscarf or hat to protect your hair from UV damage.
- TIP: Use a hair protectant spray if you plan to be in the sun for longer than a couple of hours.
- Step 5: Give yourself a scalp massage Give yourself a vigorous scalp massage – or ask someone to give you one – every week to increase blood circulation to your scalp. This will also strengthen roots and follicles.
- Step 6: Use a hot oil treatment A weekly hot oil treatment can restore lost moisture and make your hair silky and soft. Hot oil treatments will also stimulate blood flow to the scalp, making hair become stronger and healthier.
- FACT: Women in Asia have used olive, coconut, and jojoba oil as natural conditioners for centuries.
You Will Need
- Gentle shampoo
- Protein-rich conditioner
- A headscarf or a hat
- A hot oil treatment
- Hair protectant spray