- Step 1: Find a style you like Decide how you'd like your handwriting to look. Study cursive samples or look at different fonts.
- Step 2: Create a sample sentence Write a sample sentence at the top of a sheet of paper, carefully emulating the writing style you've chosen.
- TIP: Print the sentence in a chosen font and tape it to the top of a lined sheet of paper.
- Step 3: Choose your writing tool Select a pen or pencil that feels good in your hand. Consider thickness, grip, and how well it glides across a page.
- TIP: Don't grip your instrument too tightly.
- Step 4: Practice Copy the sentence, again and again. Practice individual letters to master the details of that writing style.
- TIP: Keep your neck, shoulders, and arms relaxed while you practice.
- Step 5: Pick a new sentence Pick a new sentence with different letters, and practice copying that sentence.
- Step 6: Try different pens or pencils Practice with other pens and pencils once you feel comfortable with this style.
- Step 7: Watch your style transform Watch your handwriting transform to a style you can take pride in. You may never go back to the computer!
- FACT: Handwriting that slants forward indicates a warm, expressive person; letters that slant backward indicate a cool, reserved personality.
You Will Need
- Cursive samples in different fonts
- A pen or pencil
- Ruled paper
- Tape (optional)