- Step 1: Melt butter in a pan Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Step 2: Sprinkle flour over butter and cook until it thick Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter. Stir frequently until thick.
- Step 3: Stir in milk and season to taste Gradually stir in milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- TIP: To thicken the gravy, add more flour and butter. To thin, add more milk.
- Step 4: Cook until the gravy thickens Cook the gravy to your desired consistency, stirring constantly. Serve immediately with biscuits, chicken fried steak, or just about anything else!
- FACT: Gravies came to popularity in 18th-century England as a cheaper alternative to complex French sauces.
You Will Need
- A pan
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 c. whole milk