- Step 1: Position the coins Place four coins on the table, arranged as if each were at the corner of a large box. Remove four cards from a deck.
- Step 2: Place the cards Place the first card on top of a coin by sliding it off the top of the deck with your thumb. At the same time, secretly pick up the coin and hold it against the bottom card with your third finger. This will hide it from view.
- Step 3: Cover the coins Now cover the other three coins with the other cards. Secretly add the hidden coin to the last coin as you cover it. You should now have four cards -- one with no coin under it, one with two coins, and two with one coin.
- TIP: Be sure to remember which card has which coins!
- Step 4: Pick up two cards Announce that you will now make the coins teleport. Pick up two cards simultaneously -- the card with two coins under it and a card with one coin underneath. As you pick up the card with one coin, secretly pick up the coin by pinching it against the bottom of the card.
- TIP: It's important to do this quickly, so the audience will be distracted by the appearance of the new coin.
- Step 5: Cover the coins Quickly move to the next step. Cover the two coins with the card holding the "disappeared" coin. Slip that coin into the two-coin pile. Discard the extra card. There should now be three cards out -- one with three coins under it, another with no coins under it, and a third with one coin under it.
- Step 6: Lift up two cards Simultaneously lift up the card with three coins and the card with one coin -- again, secretly lifting up the single coin with its card. It will seem as if you have transported the coin yet again!
- Step 7: Move another coin Quickly slip the card with the coin hidden under it over the three coins. You now have two cards left -- one with no coins under it and one with four coins under it.
- Step 8: Reveal the coins Slowly lift the card with no coins under it and show that the coin is gone. Lift up the remaining card to reveal all four coins.
- FACT: This trick is based on the classic three-card monte scam used by hustlers.
You Will Need
- Four playing cards
- Four coins
- A cloth-covered table