- Step 1: Start with "sit" and "down" In the backyard or dog park, give the commands for "sit!" and then "down!" Reward the proper responses with words of praise.
- TIP: Always use positive reinforcement and words of praise during any training exercise.
- Step 2: Roll them over As your dog maintains the "down" position, gently roll them onto their left side and give the verbal command "play dead!" Give them an affectionate scratch on the tummy and words of praise.
- Step 3: Repeat until "dead" Repeat until your dog can assume the "play dead!" position without your help. Reward them with a treat and more words of praise.
- FACT: In the 1980 comedy "Used Cars," a dog named Peanuts plays dead to help sell cars.
You Will Need