- Step 1: Set a deadline Set a deadline so you have a goal to reach for.
- Step 2: Calculate reading time Time how long it takes you to read a page of the book, and multiply that by the total number of pages to determine how long it will take you to read the whole book. Divide this by the number of days until your deadline.
- Step 3: Schedule time Schedule specific times to read every day, to make reading the book a habit.
- TIP: Read for 20 minutes at a time, as it is harder to focus on difficult material for longer than 20 minutes.
- Step 4: Create a space Create a comfortable reading space, to improve your mood and make the time pass more quickly.
- TIP: Keep your reading space well lit, especially if you are reading before bed.
- Step 5: Read on downtime Read during spare time such as when you're waiting in line or at the doctor's office.
- Step 6: Reinforce material Make notes in the margins, check web sites that offer study guides on the material, or talk about the book with friends and family.
- FACT: Did you know? According to the National Institute for Literacy, an estimated 20 percent of adults in the United States read at or below a fifth grade level.
You Will Need
- A deadline
- A timer
- A calculator
- A reading space