- Step 1: Ignore begging dog Ignore your dog when they beg at the table. Interacting in any way, even to scold, merely reinforces the behavior.
- Step 2: Feed dog during family mealtimes Feed your dog when you sit down to eat. This will occupy them and distract them from your meal.
- TIP: Take your dog on a long walk before dinner. Tired dogs have less energy to beg.
- Step 3: Be consistent Be consistent in ignoring your dog's overtures. Making even one exception can negate any positive habits your training may have initiated.
- Step 4: Stay firm If your dog tests you by increasing the intensity of their whining, stay firm in ignoring them.
- Step 5: Continue the training Continue to ignore your dog's begging from meal to meal. Don’t sneak your dog a treat. After several weeks, your dog will stop begging at the table.
- TIP: You may find it helpful to crate your dog or put them in another room while you eat.
- Step 6: Enjoy quiet meals Enjoy a meal free of whining and begging. Your persistence will pay off.
- FACT: Did you know? Dogs have more than 220 million olfactory receptors in their noses – 40 times more than humans do.
You Will Need
- A dog
- Dog crate