- Step 1: Use a cold compress Wet a washcloth in very cold water or place a damp washcloth in the freezer for 10 minutes. Place over your forehead.
- TIP: Use a few drops of peppermint oil on the cold cloth to speed relief.
- Step 2: Use heat Place a very warm washcloth or hot water bottle across your forehead. Place a heating pad across your neck and shoulders to relax tight muscles.
- Step 3: Massage Rub the painful area of your head with gentle, circular pressure for seven to 15 seconds.
- Step 4: Lie quietly Lie down in a dark, quiet room and release tension by focusing on relaxing your back, neck, and shoulders.
- Step 5: Nap Nap for an hour to "sleep off" the pain.
- Step 6: Eat and drink Eat regular meals and drink lots of water. Hunger and dehydration can cause headaches; getting proper nutrition and fluids can put the odds back in your favor.
- FACT: Tension, stress, sinus congestion, lack of sleep, caffeine withdrawal, and spinal problems can all cause headaches.
You Will Need
- 1 A washcloth
- 1 A hot water bottle
- 1 A calming environment
- 1 The ability to relax