- Step 1: Relax for 10 minutes Rest quietly for 10 minutes to take a resting heart rate measurement. If you are testing your active heart rate, test after activity.
- Step 2: Find your pulse Turn your left arm palm-up and place the first two fingers of your right hand on the inside of your wrist, just below your thumb. Press gently to feel your pulse.
- TIP: Your carotid artery on the side of your neck may give a stronger pulse.
- Step 3: Count beats Count the number of beats you feel over 30 seconds. Double that number for the number of beats per minute.
- TIP: The average resting heart rate for an adult man is 70 beats per minute, and 75 beats for an adult woman.
- Step 4: Maintain a healthy heart rate Keep your heart pumping and your heart rate low with exercise and a healthy diet.
- FACT: Your heart beats more than 2.5 billion times over the course of a 70-year lifetime.
You Will Need
- A watch with a second hand