- TIP: You don't need a sports drink unless you've been sweating for at least an hour.
- Step 1: Add orange or lemon juice. Both contain potassium, another nutrient lost through perspiration.
- TIP: Sodium and potassium are both chemical compounds known as electrolytes that your body needs to prevent dehydration; they can become unbalanced during exertion.
- Step 2: Stir together vigorously and enjoy.
- FACT: Did you know?Gatorade was developed in 1965 at The University of Florida for their football team – the Gators!
- Step 3: Top with ice water to replace the fluids lost during exercise.
- Step 4: Put the sugar and salt in a tall glass and add just enough hot water to dissolve them. Stir them together. The salt is to replace the sodium your body loses when you sweat. Small amounts of sugar help the body absorb water.
You Will Need
- A tall glass
- 2 tbsp. sugar or honey
- u00bc tsp. salt
- Hot water
- u00bc c. lemon or 1/3 c. orange juice
- 16 oz. ice water