- Step 1: Place one unshelled seed in your mouth. Line it up horizontally with your tongue, so that the two long ends touch your bottom and your top teeth.
- TIP: You can also lay the seed lengthwise on the indentation in your lower molars.
- Step 2: Apply pressure with your teeth to crack the shell.
- Step 3: Use your tongue and teeth to separate the shell and the inner seed in your mouth.
- Step 4: Spit the shell from your mouth. If this is difficult, move the shell to the front of your mouth with your tongue and remove it manually.
- Step 5: Repeat the above process, working two seeds at a time. Shell one at a time, using your tongue to hold the other seed in a corner of your mouth.
- Step 6: Add seeds to your mouth as you become more proficient. This takes practice, but it's worth it!
- FACT: Did you know? Russia, Ukraine, and Argentina are the top sunflower-producing countries in the world.
You Will Need
- 1 c. Unshelled sunflower seeds