- Step 1: Add chopped or pureed roasted red peppers to the potatoes and mix in thoroughly with a spoon. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors fully absorb.
- Step 2: Stir in a few tablespoons of pesto sauce to enjoy your mashed potatoes Italian-style. This is a great side for any grilled Mediterranean chicken, fish, or veggies.
- TIP: Find pesto at gourmet food stores or the international section of your supermarket.
- Step 3: Stir in shredded mozzarella, Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar, or grated Parmesan for a richer version of the classic recipe.
- TIP: You can also spoon mashed potatoes into a heat-proof dish, top with cheese, and bake or broil for a crunchy crust.
- Step 4: Stir in a few tablespoons of prepared horseradish and heavy cream for extra zest.
- Step 5: Stir in chopped green peppers, cumin, and chipotle peppers to add some Tex-Mex flavor. Serve with a side of salsa and sour cream for that extra touch!
- FACT: Mashed potatoes are commonly used as a topping for European casseroles such as the British shepherd's pie and the Irish colcannon.
You Will Need
- A jar of roasted red peppers
- Pesto sauce
- Shredded or grated cheese
- Prepared horseradish
- Heavy cream
- Chopped green peppers
- Chipotle peppers
- Sour cream