- Step 1: Start a new game Start a new game. A grid of gray squares will appear.
- TIP: Start on the easiest setting, and work your way up to harder settings.
- Step 2: Click on a square Left-click on any gray square. On a Mac, simply click on it. If there is a mine hidden under the square, you immediately lose the game. If there isn't a mine under the square, there will be a number – one through eight –indicating how many mines are under the eight adjacent squares.
- Step 3: Locate other safe squares Determine safe squares by using the uncovered numbers. Lower numbers indicate fewer mines adjacent to that square. If the number is a "1," then there is only one mine around that square, and seven safe squares.
- Step 4: Flag possible mines Flag squares that you deduce are hiding mines by right-clicking on them. On a Mac, hit the option key at the same time you click the mouse.
- TIP: Improperly flagging a square can cost you the game.
- Step 5: Locate all the mines Locate all the mines and uncover all the number squares to win the game and become the ultimate minesweeper.
- FACT: Did you know? In the film The Caine Mutiny, the USS Caine was played by the Navy destroyer-minesweeper USS Thompson.
You Will Need
- A computer
- The Minesweeper program