- Step 1: Cube the cheese Cube the cheese with a kitchen knife and put it in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Step 2: Heat in microwave Put the cheese in your microwave and heat on high for two minutes. Take it out of the microwave and stir in the chiles, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and Jack cheese, if using. Mix well and return to the microwave for one minute.
- Step 3: Check mixture Check the mixture to see if the cheese is melted. If not, stir and microwave for another one or two minutes. Repeat the process until the cheese is melted.
- TIP: Watch the queso to make sure it doesn't boil while it's melting in the microwave.
- Step 4: Eat Eat with tortilla chips, or use as a sauce over enchiladas, Mexican rice, or refried beans.
- FACT: The bhut jolokia is the world’s hottest chile pepper.
You Will Need
- 16 oz. processed cheddar cheese
- 1 c. finely chopped jalapeno or poblano chiles
- 1/2 a medium onion
- finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 c. chopped canned tomatoes
- Tortilla chips
- rice or beans
- 6 oz. grated Monterey Jack cheese