- Step 1: Moisten your mouth Before you attempt to spit seeds make sure your mouth is moist. Take a drink of water or a bite of watermelon. The seed needs lubrication in order to achieve good distance.
- Step 2: Choose your seeds wisely Select your weapon, er, seed wisely. The bigger the better. A heavier seed can fly farther than a lighter, smaller seed.
- : Limit the seeds in your mouth. Since taking a deep breath is part of the technique, you want to avoid choking on a seed!
- Step 3: Aim the seed With the small tip of the seed pointed forward in your mouth, take aim. Choose a target far in the distance.
- Step 4: Take a deep breath Take as deep a breath through your nose as you can. Remember, the more air, the farther you can propel the seed.
- Step 5: Technique A good spitting technique is essential. Lean back, and then throw your head and body forward when you spit, allowing both the air and the water to force your seed forward through the tunnel of your tongue.
- Step 6: Measure your progress Measure your distance and write it down. Knowing what is working and what isn’t will help you improve your technique.
- TIP: Spit at a loved one. Good seed spitting takes practice and motivation. If you’ve reached a plateau, spitting at a loved one may loosen you up and improve your technique.
- Step 7: Enter a competition As you get better and better, you may want to enter a competition. You never know. You could become the next watermelon seed-spitting world champion.
- FACT: In 1989, Lee Wheelis set the world record by spitting a watermelon seed 68 feet and nine and one-eighth inches.
You Will Need
- Watermelon seeds
- A tongue
- A measuring tape
- A human target